Sunday 18 November 2018

Rusty Face

Morning Friends and Crafters. I am so excited to share this mixed media piece with you today. It's a real favourite of mine a it was a bit of an experiment that came out just as I wanted. It was a fun project and well worth the waiting time. Once again this wouldn't have to be a journal or scrapbook page, it could easily be made smaller for a card or even par of it onto an ATC, Like I always say have fun with your crafting, try something new, and always remember, There are NO RULES.

You will need:
Kitchen Roll
Powertex Rust Powder
Vinegar & Water Mix 50/50 mix 
( if for fabric or Clothes I recommend the Rust Dye either Bright or Dark from Inventors Asylum as it's much better where the integrity and strength of fabric is important, clothes etc)
Strip of Calico (previously used for cleaning paints, inks etc)
Medical Gauze Dyed to Match
Sewing Machine
Black card and threads to match or contrast.
Collall Tacky Glue

Step 1: Fold the  sheets of kitchen roll together (still connected gives more strength) Spritz with the mix of Vinegar Water. Next position your stencil in place, sprinkle with rusty powder and spritz again. Do check after a few hours to make sure it's not dried out, If so spritz with more. Keep checking periodically, then leave overnight or longer if required. Remove the stencil and leave to dry thoroughly before dusting off any remaining powder. If using on fabric with the rust dye instead, the fabric can be washed as instructed. 

Step 2: I use calico to mop up inks and paints etc and keep the fabric for future projects. I took one of the pieces and cut off a strip to use. First I added a strip of the dyed gauze and over the top added the calico, which matched the colours beautifully. I used a ziz zag stitch to secure the pieces. I then used Versafine Black ink to add some words, Here I thought the 'Life is Tough' fitted perfectly, but thats personal choice.

Step 3: To finish stitch around the kitchen towel a few times with a messy Zig Zag stitch, I finally added it to a piece of natural Calico, stitched around once more and then frayed the edges before mounting onto black card with tacky glue.

Just a little extra here: If you have not shopped with Hochanda before, here is a voucher code giving you 30% off your first purchase (FEY5JBP7) it can be used for any purchase, feel free to share it.

As you know I love writing my blog and helping as much as I can, well I would really love for you to add you support by adding me as a favourite blog. All you need to do in that section is choose other and add my blog address nickinbarnsley.blogspot It would be great to get a mention even if I dont come anywhere.

Here is the link to add your support for all of the categories. 

https://www.britishcraftawards.com/

Thank you so much for joining me today, I do hope you have enjoyed this tutorial along with the finished piece. It's such an easy but effective result and quite special how the rust forms the complete face just from the stencil including the lips etc as they were originally drawn. I added a very small amount of white gel pen just to highlight the eyes a little. For now Take care and Happy Crafting.xx

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you ever so much Jane, Very happy you like it.xx

      Delete
  2. Wow so very different! You certainly had a good play with this one. I love it and am so glad that it came out the way you wanted it to.
    Thank you for sharing Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nicola, Now this really was exciting, It turned out better than I ever thought it would. It came out more like my original drawing which was great. Thanks again.xx

      Delete
  3. This looks brilliant. Thank you Nick for sharing it here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are more than welcome, I am so sorry I missed your comment, I am really pleased you like this, its one of my favourites. Thanks again.xx

      Delete