Tuesday 6 November 2018

Marquetry Dolphin

Morning everyone, Thank for joining me today. This is a project I was very excited about. I have always loved the look of marquetry and I have watched Quentin on Hochanda many times, It was great to actually see the craft on TV. A very good friend gave me some wonderful veneers, so I thought I would try a small card with one of the Dolphins from my new collection. Maybe you might have a go too.

You will need:
Craftascope Dolphin Set 1
Selection of Veneers
Washi Tape
Carbon Paper or Tracedown
Copier Paper
Black Card
White Card
Black Base Card
Tacky Glue
Marquetry Craft Knife

Step 1:Collect all of your veneers together and select the pieces you will use to insert for your image.

Step 2: Choose your background veneer, this is the piece that will form the base and add the inserts to, this measures 4 1/2'' square.

Step 3: Stamp the chosen image, (here the dolphin) onto some copier paper. Tape this in place over your base piece, it will need to remain in place until the whole process is complete. Use the carbon paper in between to trace the first section.

Step 4: Use the knife to cut out this section. Place your chosen veneer behind underneath and cur the shape with your knife being careful not to move. Take your time and make very small cuts. When it is free, insert into the base and secure from behind with tacky glue, cover with tape while drying.

Step 5: Repeat the previous step with each section of you design.

Step 6: When completely dry, lightly sand the surface. I then finished mine with a light polish with teak oil

Step 7: To complete the card mount it onto black card and then white, finally add it to a black base card.

Another thing, here is a 30% off voucher to use on your first order (anything) from Hochanda, use code FEY5JBP7.

As you know I love writing my blog and helping as much as I can, well I would really love for you to add you support by adding me as a favourite blog. All you need to do in that section is choose other and add my blog address nickinbarnsley.blogspot It would be great to get a mention even if I dont come anywhere.

Here is the link to add your support for all of the categories. 

https://www.britishcraftawards.com/


Until Tomorrow, Take care and Happy Crafting.xx

7 comments:

  1. I love marquetry and this dolphin looks amazing done this way. Not something that I would try as my knife work is rubbish.
    Thank you for sharing Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Nicola get a new blade and have a go, It's really nice and would make a lovely box lid or book cover. I really enjoyed doing this and I am looking forward to a larger project.xx

      Delete
  2. Your dolphins look great in this project xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ever so much, I had to include the dolphins in my collection, they are going to suit so many different styles and occasions.xx

      Delete
  3. A brilliant project. I love marquetry and bought a gorgeous box from Morocco many years ago

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this Nick. Don’t think it is something I could do but love to see the finished result. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete