Thursday 1 November 2018

Acrylic Portrait

Morning Friends and Crafters. Well the day has finally arrived, my first show on Hochanda at 4 pm this afternoon. All of the drawing,designing and re drawing has taken me on this exciting journey and what a scary journey it has been at times, I hope you will be rooting for me and praying that I wont end up on the bloopers reel lol. Today I am sharing a tutorial for one of the demonstrations that I hope there will be time for. I have chosen this project as it gives a really strong and punchy look, but it is totally achievable for everyone to create. I have just used one stencil from the collection, any of the words or sentiments from the collection would work, but I chose to leave it, for now anyway.

You will need:
Craftascope 'Trent' Stencil
Distress Crayons Set 3
Indigo Blu Townhouse Teal Acrylic Paint
White Gesso
Cosmic Shimmer Acrylic Paint Orange Popsicle
Pencil
Purple Spritzer
Orange Spritzer
Black Card 12 x 12 9 (Smaller if Preferred)

Ste 1: Create your background with the acrylic paints and a Brayer. Build up your layers to create interest, texture and dimension. (*Top Tip* use rice paper or a piece of Calico to mop up any excess paint, this can be used for future projects. Another idea is to use an ATC size to create later.)

Step 2: Use the Spritzers to create another level of interest. Try letting the colours run either side of where your image will sit, like a sort of frame.

Step 3: Trace through your stencil with a pencil, these have been designed to give at least 3 different faces. By using either the inside line on it's own, the outside line on it's own or a mixture of the 2 lines. Remove the stencil and using the Black Distress Crayon strengthen the image.

Step 4: First using your White Distress Crayon, start by adding the shape and highlights to the face, add some white and rub in with your finger, decide where your light is coming from, here its from the right.

Step 5: Start by adding more shape with the black add the black and rub in with your finger, be sparing with this as it is a strong tone, less is more, continue until you are happy with the image. To finish your project you can add some of the brown and cream Distress Crayons to add texture to the hair.

Thank you so much for taking a look at what I have shared today, I hope you have enjoyed the tutorial and the finished piece. It would be great for you to have a go to see just what you can create. Hope you will join me on Hochanda today at 4 pm or if you have missed it you can see a repeat on Catch up. Another thing, here is a 30% off voucher to use on your first order (anything) from Hochanda, use code FEY5JBP7.

As you know I love writing my blog and helping as much as I can, well I would really love for you to add you support by adding me as a favourite blog. All you need to do in that section is choose other and add my blog address nickinbarnsley.blogspot It would be great to get a mention even if I dont come anywhere.

Here is the link to add your support for all of the categories. 

https://www.britishcraftawards.com/


Until Tomorrow, Take care and Happy Crafting.xx









7 comments:

  1. A really strong and dynamic image. Love all the layers that you have used to create it.
    Thank you for sharing Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really great project and brilliant instructions. Good luck for today xxn

    ReplyDelete
  3. A brilliant background and love the image. Don't fret about this afternoon, just have fun xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant project. Thank you for the tutorial. Will be watching this afternoon. Everything will be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Superb debut on Hochanda. You were sweetly nervous, but that is okay as you demonstrated your work with humility. Loved it. So good to have portraits of men for a change. There are a great many available of women. I have make friends and so I would like to depict and celebrate them. Thank you for these fine images. Very inspiring and you showed so many ways to use them. One day could you make a merman with a gorgeous tail so he could swim with the beautiful dolphins? A great beginning. Eager to see what comes next and finally good to meet you. All in all a pleasure.

    ReplyDelete