Friday 22 April 2016

StampBord With Silver Clay

The inspiration for this project came about because of the builders that were here. They used to hang their lunch bags in the tree outside the window. One evening a bag was left in the tree. It was just a coincidence that the moon was full that night. The whole of the tree was lit up by the moonlight and the bag was really shining. 

For this project I have used:
A white Sharpie extra fine point liner.
Black Archival ink pad
Distress inks: Blueprint Sketch, Dusty Concorde, Chipped Sapphire and Black Soot.
I used Stampbord, stamping the tree first using the branch. I used the edge of some copier paper to mask of when adding the branches. The branch bends really well, so you can get some great results, it doesn't look the same when you repeat the branch.


Then I stamped the row of flowers, I love this stamp, It reminds me of the Thrift plant used on the Brass Thrupenny bit. It's got a real Art Deco look about it and inspired another card (to come).

I masked the flower heads with Pebeo drawing gum and allowed it to dry. I purposely left a small gap at the bottom, but you could quite easily line the stamp up with the edge if you wanted to. I used Versamark to stamp the moon and used clear embossing powder over the top. I did use an anti static bag as well to avoid unwanted areas of clear.

Then with a blending tool I built up a layer of Blueprint Sketch, gradually lighter towards the focal point. Using the same technique I added Dusty Concorde and Chipped Sapphire to create a dark to light blend. Finally just around the edge I blended in some Black Soot, very lightly with very little on the pad.

Using a scrapping tool, I added the highlights to the tree. This was done twice, the first time I added a suggestion of Blueprint Sketch and the second was left white for added dimension.


The pendant hanging from the tree was made using silver clay, the pattern was added using the stamp from Tangled Tails. These are great stamps to use with the silver clay.


Finally, I removed the drawing gum from the flowers and again used Blueprint Sketch to add a 3D look and a scraping tool to add highlights to the black flowers. The added a few stars with the Sharpie pen.



10 comments:

  1. What a lovely story Nick and a stunning design and very effective.
    Hugs Julie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Julie, I was itching to use and share my silver clay. That image had stuck in my mind and the tree is what I see from my window. Take care xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous card and pendant Nick! Spookily i have just made a project using stampbord for my blog on Tuesday!! Jane :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im looking forward to seeing your blog on Tuesday to see your project. Thank you so much for your comments, I am really pleased to hear that you like it. I lved making the pendant to finish it off.Take care Nickxx

      Delete
  4. Lovely card and really like the pendent. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, It was great to use the stamps on the silver clay.I also loved working with the stampbord. So pleased that you like this one.Thanks for popping by and hope you visit again.Take care. xx

      Delete
  5. Really love the mysterious look of this one. Oh of course the pendant is gorgeous as well. Lucky Leonie getting this as a hidden pressure in your samples! Have never worked with silver clay or stamp board. Maybe two more things for the ever increasing wish list! Nicola.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicola, The silver clay is a must, It's very exciting making something from it. I practised quite a bit first as the silver clay is precious. I am thrilled that you like the piece, another one I loved making and it came out exactly how I wanted. The stampbord is a beautiful media to work on. Take care and pop by again Nick xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I think this is my favourite piece, it's just stunning and who would have thought it was inspired by builders :D
    I love the highlights on the branches and flowers and the pendant is beautiful. Leonie is a very lucky girl.
    Katrina x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spent so much time looking at their lunch bags hung in the tree, I used to get up with it until the night of the full moon.So something good came out of it. I have to say I loved making the pendant in silver clay. I just couldn't think of anything that would work as well. Leonie loves it. I really like working with stampbord, it's a new favourite. Thanks again xx

      Delete