Saturday 23 April 2016

Sepia/Brown Illusion Coaster project

Here's another of the projects I made using stamps from the new Leonie Pujol range. 

To prepare the MDF coaster, I gave it tow coats of white gesso. When it was dry I marked out the first line of my edge border lightly in pencil, I have made it slightly darker here so it shows up a little better.



Next I added my first bars with a ruler and fine liner (05) in sepia.




Then I marked out my second line for the edge border in pencil, followed by some more bars using the ruler and fine liner. The more bars you add, the greater the dimension as it creates the illusion of depth. It's worth bearing in mind though that the more you add, the more spaces that are created to fill with stamps. You want to try and leave some larger spaces so the stamp designs stand out.

I started adding the bars I wanted to appear closest and then worked backwards. Careful not to go over any lines.


Time to mask and and stamp the edge and bars ready to stamp. I used washi tape for the edge and Pebeo drawing gum for the bars.


When It was dry I selected the stamp I wanted and filled the space between to form the border.


After removing the tape and gum, I used the straight edge of copier paper to mask off the other areas for stamping until the design was complete.



When I finished the stamping I took the sepia fine liner and drew a deckled edge around both sides of the border avoiding crossing any lines.


Then it was just a case of adding shading to the design with either alcohol markers or pencils and varnishing with an appropriate sealer depending on which medium you have used. I used crafters companion Spray and Shine.

6 comments:

  1. I was really intrigued by this when Leonie showed it on TV. It is so intricate and like your other projects very time consuming I'm sure. It is really good to know how you managed to achieve all those small spaces and lines. I am sure that if I tried to do this I would be going over lines that I shouldn't and getting very frustrated with myself! Thank you for sharing.
    Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the coaster, it was one of those that I had to do again as I had sent my samples back. You honestly wont go over the lines if you use the scrap paper to mask. I really do find it relaxing, just take it slow, dont rush and enjoy. It's not too time consuming I promise.Take care Nick xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic Nick and a great tutorial thank you
    Hugs Janet x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ever so much Janet. I have one here as well now. Need to make another 5.lol

      Delete
  4. This is fabulous, it looks so dimensional. Great step by step.
    Katrina x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katrina, Thank you so much,I am glad you like it. I always forget to take the pictures as I go. Never mind.xx

      Delete