Tuesday 16 May 2017

Time - Showing us what Matters

Hello, I've got something a little different to share with you this morning. Yesterday Kim from Paperbabe Stamps brought her Male Mixed Media, stamps and stencils to Hochanda. I bought them a little while ago, they really are fantastic. I never been able to draw a successful face so these have really been amazing to use and have allowed me to try something new. If you didn't see the shows, they will be available on 'Rewind' via the Hochanda website.

For this I used the 'Side Swept Bangs' template, the instructions are super easy to follow. I used Stick n Spray from Crafters Companion on the back of mine to hold it in place. Next I positioned the facial features, using the coordinating stamps. For the eye's I used Blueprint Sketch Distress ink.

Once completed, I used a 0.3 & 0.5 black Copic Multiliner pen to darken the lines before rubbing out all of the pencil markings.

I started building up the skin tone with my alcohol markers, blending to add shape to the face.

I continued to blend, darkening around the sides of the face and hairline. Below the shoulders, I faded to the lightest shade.

I took a warm golden base for the hair, my chosen hair colour was dark brown but I like to start with a lighter base, after adding the darker colours the tones does show to give a more realistic look.

Next I took my 2nd beige colour to start the blending. Working with the hairs natural movement, blending from the root and from the tips, leaving a bridge in the mid-lengths. 

I continued with a deep warm brown applying in the same way.

Lastly, I took my darkest brown to add even more depth and tone before blending with the warm brown I had used previously.

Then using copier paper, I made a mask to cover the whole image.

The colours I used for this background were Blueprint Sketch, Dusty Concorde and Chipped Sapphire. I wanted to blend areas while still keeping some white without it starting to look patchy.

I made a stencil from the clock die from the 'Time Traveller' collection by Sheena. I also used another from Clarity, stippling through with Blueprint Sketch and Chipped Sapphire.

With Memento Black ink, I stamped a sentiment stamp from Bee Crafty, using the 'Time' part on the left had side and the rest in the top right hand corner. I next took the Hourglass stamp from Sheena's Time Traveller collection and stamped using Blueprint Sketch Distress ink.

I finally removed the copier paper mask.

Many thanks for taking a look today, I do hope you have enjoyed this step by step and the finished piece. If you would like to do something similar, I would highly recommend the stencils and stamps from Paperbabe, they have really helped me to do something that I have always wanted to do. Hope you will join me again soon, Take care and Happy Crafting.xx

2 comments:

  1. This is wonderful Nick,love the whole piece. Find it hard to believe you struggle drawing anything but have seen these on TV and they would help a lot. Thanks for sharing, Nicola xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been hoping for something like this for a long time Nicola, I would have brought a range out myself but it all comes down to cash. One day I will have my own things. Hope you got hold of them. I love using them.xxThank you so much x

      Delete