Thursday, 21 July 2016

A Valentine For Him

Leonie will be on Hochanda tomorrow evening at 8 pm to launch a brand new collection. I have to say that I am extremely excited about this launch. I love all of Leonie's products but this has been especially wonderful to craft with, please tune in as I have a feeling these are not going to hang around. I thought it might be nice to make a man's card to share for a change, I know how a lot of people say we are difficult to make for. 

The idea started when I was sorting out some fabrics and I came across some lovely black leather. I cut out the hearts from the 'Lots of Love' set.

Next I took a zip and cut a section of some denim. I wanted the sentiment to be appearing through the open zip.

As I had some denim left over, I decided to cut the hearts from this as well.

For the sentiment, I measured a piece of board which I had covered with white super smooth paper and cut it to 13 1/2 x 7 1/2 cm.

Next I stitched the zip to both sides of the denim making sure it would position over the board okay.

With Archival Black ink, I stamped the handwritten 'Love' stamp.

I blended across this with Shaded Lilac, Faded Jeans and Peacock Feathers. Then I rolled it up to form creases all the way across. I then highlighted the creases with the ink that was left on my blending tool.

To make the corner sentiments, I worked out the size of card I needed and cut the card using a basic square die. I also used one of the accent stamps in the corner. The nice thing about using a strip stamp is that you never end up with any of the words being upside down.

I opened the zip, positioned it over my sentiment and secured in place using Cosmic Shimmer glue.

I blended the same distress inks around the corner sentiments once I had cut out the required centre square die and cut them in two.

I took the leather hearts and splattered the with Red Daler Rowney paint for added interest and texture.

For the background, I took a sheet of tissue paper an inch or so larger than my finished project. I placed this onto my glass mat and spritzed with water until it was totally saturated. I then sprinkled on some Royal Blood Infusions from Paperartsy. I continued spraying with water which made the paper crinkle and the colour puddle into the beautiful pattern. I left this to dry in full sun, which intensifies the effect. When totally dry I carefully peeled it away from the matt.

I used Crafters Companion Stick n Stay to secure it to my card to keep the pattern I had created and to minimise additional wrinkles. I turned the excess to the back and secured with Cosmic Shimmer glue. This gives a much neater edge than using scissors to trim.

I then assemble my card as shown in the finished photo. With the exception of the 'Love Sentiment' everything was secured with Cosmic Shimmer glue. For the sentiment I used 3D glue gel.

I hope you have enjoyed the step by step and the card I have shared with you today. Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and for the lovely comments you leave both on here and on Facebook. I really hop that you will come by again soon.Take care xxx


  1. A really clever card that uses so many different techniques and lots of different textures. I think that this card would be good for difficult teenagers too.
    Thank you for sharing. Nicola x

  2. Amazing card Nick as I have said one or two times before you are so talented.
    The step by step is so detailed thank you for taking the time to follow that.
    Hugs Janet xxx

  3. Amazing card Nick as I have said one or two times before you are so talented.
    The step by step is so detailed thank you for taking the time to follow that.
    Hugs Janet xxx

  4. oh great card hun love all the different elements you have used to make a really effective design hugs Cherylxxx

  5. Something very different. Thanks for sharing this Nick.